It’s That Festive Season: How To Protect Your Dog From Toxic Hazards

Now that the holiday season has kicked into full gear, it's time to start worrying about your dog. You might not realize this, but the holidays are a dangerous time for your dog, especially with all the decorations you'll be putting out and the parties you'll be hosting. There are a lot of hazardous foods and substances your dog can come in contact with over the holidays. If your dog does come in contact with something that's poisonous, it's vital that you act quickly to minimize the danger that your dog is facing. Here are some quick steps you should take if you suspect that your pet has come in contact with something poisonous.

Be Prepared for Emergencies

You never know when your dog is going to come in contact with a poisonous substance. Unfortunately, it's not easy to know what's poisonous, and what's not. The best way to protect your dog is to keep the phone numbers for your veterinarian and poison control in an easily accessible location, such as on your refrigerator. That way, if your dog does ingest something or begins to act sick, you can make those emergency calls quickly.

Identify the Poison

If your dog is acting weak or sick, it's possible that it's come in contact with a poisonous substance or food. The first thing you need to do is identify the substance that your dog has come in contact with. Walk around your house and try to find what your dog has ingested. Begin by looking for chewed up pieces of plants such as mistletoe or poinsettia plants. You should also look for chewed up pieces of chocolate, grapes, or onions. These are all items that are poisonous to dogs. You can also look inside your dog's mouth for remnants of the substance. Once you've identified the substance, give your vet a call. They'll be able to determine whether you should bring your dog in or allow it to rest.

Give Your Dog a Bath

During the winter, there are a lot of substances in your yard that can be harmful to your dogs. Things like road salt and engine antifreeze are both poisonous for dogs. If your dog has come in contact with these substances, you'll need to give it a warm bath as quickly as possible. Your dog could ingest the substance if it decides to lick its fur or paws. Giving your dog a bath will remove the harmful substance and prevent it from ingesting more of the poison.

For more information to be prepared for the holiday season, contact your local veterinarian clinic, such as Veterinary Emergency Services Of Lincoln.